List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Re: kdevops BoF at LSFMM
From:       "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso () mit ! edu>
Date:       2024-05-13 13:17:53

On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 05:54:50PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:

> In my experience, these require the addition of a CI
> apparatus like BuildBot or Jenkins -- they are not
> directly part of kdevops' mission. Scott Mayhew and
> I have been playing with BuildBot, and there are some
> areas where integration between kdevops and BuildBot
> could be improved (and could be discussed next week).

This is support which gce-xfstests has.  You can either have it watch
a particular branch on a git repo, and whenever it changes it will
kick off a tests:

      --watch <branch>

As an example:

   gce-xfstests ltm -c ext4/all -g auto --repo ext4 --watch dev

Or you can specify a specific commit that you want to run tests on:

   gce-xfstests ltm -c ext4/all -g auto --repo ext4 --commit dev

In the two examples above ext4 is an abbrevation so you don't have to
type the full URL; you can define additional abbrevs in your config
file.

> > 3) make it easier to auto-bisect what commit regressed when a failing test
> > is spotted
>
> Jeff Layton has mentioned this as well. I don't think
> it would be impossible to get kdevops to orchestrate
> a bisect, as long as it has an automatic way to decide
> when to use "git bisect {good|bad}"

gce-xfstests has this as well:

        --bisect-bad <bad_rev> --bisect-good <good_rev> \
        [--bisect-good <good_rev1> ...]

So yeah, not that hard --- we had intern learn how to program in Go
and to implement the base lightweight test manager, and a team of
undergraduates who implemented the build server, test spinner, and
auto-bisector as part of their software engineering classes's project.  :-)

The code is up on github at github.com/tytso/xfstests-bld if anyone
wants to repurpose it.

	      	      	       		- Ted