List:       linux-mm
Subject:    Re: [rfc][patch] mm: scalable vmaps
From:       Andi Kleen <ak () suse ! de>
Date:       2008-02-18 10:20:20

> Assuming that aliased pages are relatively rare, then its OK for this
> function to be heavyweight if it can exit quickly in the non-aliased
> case (or there's some other cheap way to tell if a page has aliases).

In theory one could use a new struct page flags bit for that purpose.
On problem is though that they're already rare on 32bit
(although I still think we should just get rid of the flags->zone encoding;
then there would be plenty again)

And the other problem is that a single bit would directly only work for a single
remapping. What would you do if there are multiple remaps of the same
page though? I guess for this case you would need to put a reference
count into some separate data structure and make vunmap (or however
it's called now) search it. Could be ugly.

-Andi