List:       linux-mm
Subject:    Re: Kernel 2.6.8.1: swap storm of death - nr_requests > 1024 on swap partition
From:       William Lee Irwin III <wli () holomorphy ! com>
Date:       2004-08-29 17:52:34

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 06:54:59PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Has nothing to do with the io scheduler itself, apart from the fact that
> CFQ exposes the problem by setting a larger q->nr_requests. And that is
> the very deciding factor, not the io scheduler.

Then it's narrower still, q->nr_requests. What a priori reasons are
there for this to vomit? clear_queue_congested() seems to be called
only when a request is retired, so a large number of requests in flight
may be doing something unexpected, and I'd expect large q->nr_requests
to keep large numbers of requests around. Hmm...

-- wli