List:       linux-mm
Subject:    Re: Kernel 2.6.8.1: swap storm of death - nr_requests > 1024 on swap partition
From:       Jens Axboe <axboe () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-08-29 16:53:45

On Sat, Aug 28 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> (Added linux-mm)
>
> Karl Vogel <karl.vogel@pandora.be> wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > That allows up to 2GB of memory to be under writeout at the same time.  The
> > > VM cannot touch any of that memory.
> >
> > Well I used that value as it is the default for CFQ.. and it was with
> > CFQ that I had the problems. The patch Jens offered to track down the
> > problem, commented out this 'q->nr_requests = 8192' in CFQ and it
> > helped. Therefor I tried the other schedulers with this value to see if
> > it made a difference.
> >
> > So if I understand you correctly, CFQ shouldn't be using 8192 on 512Mb
> > systems?!
>
> Yup.  It's asking for trouble to allow that much memory to be unreclaimably
> pinned.

It's not pinned, it's in-progress. I think it's really bad behaviour to
_allow_ so much to be in-progress, if you can't handle it. It's silly to
expect the io scheduler to know this and limit it, belongs at a
different level (the vm, where you have such knowledge).

> Of course, you could have the same problem with just 128 requests per
> queue, and lots of queues.  I solved all these problems in the dirty memory
> writeback paths.  But I forgot about swapout!

Precisely. Or 128 requests on a 16MB system. More proof that this is a
vm problem.

--
Jens Axboe