List:       linux-mm
Subject:    RE: buddy system inventor
From:       "M. Edward Borasky" <znmeb () aracnet ! com>
Date:       2002-11-15 15:21:05

Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming", Volume I, Second Edition,
pages 460 - 461:

"The 'buddy system' was first used by H. Markowitz in connection with
the SIMSCRIPT programming system in 1963, and it was independently
discovered and published by K. Knowlton, CACM 8 (1965), 623 - 625; see
also CACM 9 (1966), 616 - 625."

I'm more or less positive it was in use at IBM in Poughkeepsie, NY in
the summer of 1962 when I started my first job there. So it was probably
well known amongst programmers before Markowitz. Maybe the CACM articles
have more information on its early history. Incidentally, H. Markowitz
is Harry Markowitz, the father of Modern Portfolio Theory and IIRC a
Nobel Economics Laureate.

Is it too soon to nominate Linus Torvalds for a Nobel Prize in
Economics?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.borasky-research.net