List:       linux-mips-kernel
Subject:    Re: [Linux-mips-kernel]arcs_cmdline
From:       Paul Mundt <pmundt () mvista ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 23:40:29

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:33:56PM -0600, Gerald Champagne wrote:
> > This is already done.. the arcs_cmdline is only dealt with in setting up the
> > arguments for each independant board. Things like serial console settings
> > and fb settings and so forth are all set here as defaults for the board,
> > and then eventually are pushed into command_line.. which other portions of
> > the kernel look at later.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear.  I was describing the existing method as written in my
> notes.

Oops, misunderstanding on my part, I thought you were listing points for what
you wanted to replace the current system with .. which is what confused me.
Sorry about the mixup.

> I have gone through the code and documented the interface required for a new
> custom board.  With the new pci, interrupt, and timer code, that interface
> looks really good (and simple).  Since arcs_cmdline is part of that api and
> not just internal code, it stood out as something worth cleaning up.

Okay. In this case, if you have a patch for arcs_cmdline cleanup, it would
indeed be considered.

If you have documentation on things like adding a new board, feel free to
submit that as well, and it can be pushed into Documentation/mips. I suspect
more than a few people will find this useful.

Another thing I'd like to see cleaned up is the platform setup code..
arch/mips/kernel/setup.c pollution is rather irritating..

Regards,

--
Paul Mundt <pmundt@mvista.com>
MontaVista Software, Inc.