List:       linux-mips
Subject:    Linux on a new MIPS system
From:       Shaun Kruger <kruger () inconnect ! com>
Date:       1999-12-19 6:19:24

I would like to seek help in creating a new MIPS port.  I am creating a
new system called ATLAS and I have selected the MIPS 4700 series
processors.  I have decided that a mainstream OS is required for ATLAS to
work.  I have chosen linux because it is popular and I just like it.  Any
help that could be offered on the software end would be
appreciated.  There are some challenges due to the fact that ATLAS runs on
the theory that the kernel runs dedicated on one processor and gives work
to application processors (this allows for as many processors as there are
available slots).  How this is a problem is with seperate processors the
kernel processor needs the OS, but the application processors need the OS
system call interface and various process management functions.  At this
time in the ATLAS project the intent is to have the hardware created by
this summer, and I need to get the software done in the time before I am
able to get the hardware design tools.

Shaun Kruger
kruger@inconnect.com

BTW: there is no hardware at all for ATLAS, devices as well as the main
system all need to finish being designed.