List:       linux-mips
Subject:    Re: Problems with Intel e100 driver on new MIPS port, was: Advice
From:       David Daney <ddaney () avtrex ! com>
Date:       2005-06-30 18:23:29

Michael Stickel wrote:
> M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
>> In message: <42C359F8.4060000@avtrex.com>
>>            David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com> writes:
>> : M. Warner Losh wrote:
>> : > In message: <42C34C4D.9020902@avtrex.com>
>> : >             David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com> writes:
>> : > : Does anyone have any idea what would cause 1000mS delay?
>> : > : > That's remarkably close to 1s.  This often indicates that the
>> transmit
>> : > of your next packet is causing the receive buffer to empty.  This is
>> : > usually due to blocked interrupts, or a failure to enable interrupts.
>> : > : : But I observe ever increasing counts for the device in
>> /proc/interrupts. :   So the interrupts are working somewhat.
>>
>> Are you sure that you've routed the interrupts correctly?  Maybe those
>> interrupts are 'really' for a different device....
>>

> Add some debugging to the interrupt routine of the e100 and see what
> happens.

The interrupt routine is getting called each time a packet is received.

It looks like packets are not being transmitted until the interrupt for
the the received packet is received.

If I ping the board at different intervals the round trip time is always
almost exactly equal to the ping interval.  So if I ping every 50mS the
round trip time is 50mS, ping every 200mS gives a RTT of 200mS, etc.

Any more ideas?

I am thinking that perhaps the CPU write-back-queue is interfearing with
writes to the NIC's registers.  Perhaps I will try to disable it.

David Daney.