List:       linux-megaraid-devel
Subject:    Re: more about flashing a PERC card with LSI firmware
From:       Dimitris <sehh () altered ! com>
Date:       2003-02-19 12:12:27

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 06:37:59 -0500 (EST) Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com> wrote:

> Which Adaptecs are you using - software raid on the 29x60 (which means you
> double your PCI bus load) or hardware based ones (either the ex dpt ones
> or the aacriad ones) ?

I've used a range of models from the older 2940/2940UW/2944 to 29x60.

Software raid was good enough when not using a raid level which required
cpu intensive computation (raid5 and equivalents). Not a real difference
to tell the truth.

My point is, i've never seen a single problem, they all run on a wide
range of hardware (AMD/Intel) and with a wide range of operating
systems (OS/2, different flavors of unix, windoze etc).

> IDE is great, for the right uses. IDE raid done right (like the 3ware
> cards) is a superb way to do fairly fast, reliable bulk storage. You simply
> cannot do 1Tb of SCSI disk on the cheap, and often much storage doesnt need
> the speed.

Indeed, my statement was a bit vague and i should have been a little more
specific.