List:       linux-man
Subject:    Re: [update report]proc.5: account pmd page tables to the process
From:       "Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill.shutemov () linux ! intel ! com>
Date:       2015-04-30 11:14:48

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> [CC += Kirill]
>
> Hello Weijie Yang, and Kirill,
>
> Kirill, your commit changed the user-space ABI but there was nothing
> in the commit message about that, nor did it CC linux-api@. It makes
> my life easier when those things happen ;-).
>
> On 28 April 2015 at 10:47, Weijie Yang <weijie.yang@samsung.com> wrote:
> > Since kernel v4.0, pmd page account is added into /proc/[pid]/status
> >
> > See detail:
> > commit dc6c9a35b66b520cf67e05d8ca60ebecad3b0479
> > Author: Kirill A. Shutemov <kirill.shutemov@linux.intel.com>
> > Date:   Wed Feb 11 15:26:50 2015 -0800
> >
> >     mm: account pmd page tables to the process
> >

> > I don't find a description for it when I read the latest man-page, so I send this email.
> > Maybe there is already a plan for it and I miss it, anyway, I send this report.
>
> I added the following to the proc(5) entry for /proc/PID/status:
>
>       VmPMD :  Page middle directory size (since Linux 4.0).

I'm not native speaker, but I think "directory" should be plural --
there are more than one directory.

And I would rather say "Size of second level page tables".
PMD is not really in middle since 4-level page tables was introduced and
definitely will not be in middle when we get 5-level page tables.