List:       linux-man
Subject:    Unit of /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize
From:       Tom Gundersen <teg () jklm ! no>
Date:       2011-10-22 12:13:16

Hi,

This might not be so much a bug report, as a request for clarification.

In random(4) it is explained that /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize
contains the value in bits or bytes in >=2.6 and 2.4 respectively.
However, the example in the preceding paragraph assumes a 2.4 kernel
is being used, and treats the value as if it were in bytes.

I ran across this as I maintain the initscripts for Arch Linux, where
we have been (mistakenly) following the example even though we use a
3.0 kernel. Maybe it would be worthwhile to change the example into
the 2.6 interface, or at least include a word of caution?

I realise that using a value which is too large, probably does no harm
at all, but not being cryptography expert, I'd rather not take the
chance.

Cheers,

Tom