List:       linux-man
Subject:    Re: Obsoletions by POSIX.1-2008
From:       Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-14 19:17:55

Hi Jan,

(Please CC bug reports to linux-man@)

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@medozas.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> in man-pages 3.13 (version shipped by openSUSE), some man-pages have
> notes about the new POSIX.1-2008 standard, e.g. gethostbyname:
>
> "CONFORMING TO
>        [...]
>        POSIX.1-2008 removes the specifications of gethostbyname(),..."
>
> This also affects gettimeofday at least.
>
> The man pages however do not tell which replacement POSIX provides. But
> there is a page which mentions the replacement functions:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/time.html
> (for gettimeofday)
>
> Could you incorporate this information about new functions into the man
> pages (if not already done in >3.13)?

That makes sense.  For 3.20, I added such information to the pages
where it is missing

gettimeofday(2)
getitimer(2)
asctime(3)
bcopy(3)
bsd_signal(3)
bzero(3)
ctime(3)
getcontext(3)
getwd(3)
ecvt(3)
gcvt(3)
index(3)
gethostbyname(3)
makecontext(3)
scalb(3)

And for these functions that POSIX.1-2008 marks obsolescent, I added
the alternatives:

siginterrupt(3)
sigset(3)

And for these functions, I added an explanation of why POSIX.1-2008
marks them as obsolescent:

isalpha(3) (isascii(3))
toascii(3)

Thanks for your report!

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git