List:       linux-mac68k
Subject:    RE: Network Cards
From:       "Gearry R. Judkins" <gearry () gwi ! net>
Date:       2000-11-30 23:47:29

> Actually, the Apple NuBus SONIC card isn't supported at all.
Actually what I have is a PDS card.  However I am pretty sure that during
boot the kernel calls it a nubus slot.  I am not sure why.  I don't even
have nubus slots on my LC II :).

  Sonic
> ethernet is only well-supported as an on-board or comm-slot chipset,
> although a couple PDS cards work as well.  The reason for this is that the
> Apple NuBus card has some bizarre memory layouts and such that we haven't
> figured out yet.  If you want a card that truly is well-supported, get an
> 8390 card made by one of the following: Apple, Asante, Dayna, Shiva,
> Kinetics.  Maybe Farallon too, I forget.  The Apple and Asante cards are
> virtually guaranteed to work.

I have an 8390 compatible card made by macsense I believe but I had problems
with it.  I don't remember the exact details but I remember that it did not
work.  I just have bad luck in that I have a pile of network cards here and
none of them are the cards that are well supported.  Thus my desire to work
on network card support.  However since I am far from being a kernel hacker
and have never programmed a device driver in my life, I have a few things to
learn before I can do this.  So, I am working on getting some background
before I get to work.  Why I am inspired to learn this to write a driver for
a 10 year old nic is beyond trying to explain....
					Gearry