List:       linux-mac68k
Subject:    Re: networking
From:       Andrew McPherson <andrew () macduff ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2000-11-22 3:31:13

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Gearry R. Judkins wrote:

> Ok, I have spent some time myself seeing if I could get this to work, and I
> have reinstalled once to make sure I did everything in a way that makes
> sense to me, so I am going to see if anyone here can tell me what simple
> thing I have not done right.
>     After messing around quite a bit I discovered a dummy net card module
> under net in the kernel modules section of the installer.  Installing this
> was the only way I could find to get the Network config options dialog to
> come up.  Without installing this (and having a working net card in the
> machine) it would always skip right from the PPP option to installing the
> base system.  I new that my net card was detected by the kernel from
> previous testing so I knew that I needed to assign an IP address etc.  With
> the dummy module I got the option to do this.  However, it appears that the
> interface I set up is not actually being associtated with the net card that
> is installed.  Can someone describe to me what the dummy module is?  I was
> hoping to see a module for the 8390 chip there (not sure on that number, but
> I know there is a common supported chipset something like that that my card
> is compatible with, thanks to someone on this list).
> 	The other problem I am having is with the apt setup.(this is the reason I
> got the net card).  I can not use my CD as my source becuase it will lock up
> the machine due to the current problems with the SCSI driver, so I was going
> to use ftp (I have no experience with NFS and that seemed harder).  However
> due to my net card not seeming to work (did some testing on another console,
> I can't get any traffic out) I can not contact any ftp servers.  I can not
> seem to find a way to skip apt configuration and worry about that later.  It
> wants to find a valid package source before it will let me go on.
> 	I am willing to take any help on this.  I swear if I get this thing working
> I will write a HOWTO so none of you ever have to answer this questions
> again.  In fact, using what I have learned so far I have already submitted
> some suggestions to Alfred who is working on the new install guide.  Thanks
> in advance.
> 							Gearry

OK, here's the story with the 8390 network driver. There are in fact not
one, but two drivers for those series of cards. The old supported a few
more cards, but didn't work as well. We've been using the new one for some
time now, I think even for the Debian kernel. When that kernel was
produced, the driver only supported a couple brands of cards. Somewhere in
the first of the 2.2.14 kernels, Alfred fixed it to support Dayna and
Kinetics brand cards as well (as well as any clones of these designs,
presumably). So you may have trouble with the 2.2.10 Debian kernel,
although a 2.2.14 or later kernel should work.

The 8390 driver is not a module. It's compiled in. I don't know if it
works correctly as a module. In any case, you may need to use a newer
kernel.

I'll look at drivers.tgz to see if I can hack something that will work
with a newer kernel.

Good luck,