List:       linux-mac68k
Subject:    Re: Eureka
From:       Michael Schmitz <schmitz () opal ! biophys ! uni-duesseldorf ! de>
Date:       2000-11-19 13:55:09

> > I didn't imply this is a dead project. There's plenty of interest in this
> > project, but I don't know of a single Debian maintainer taking care of
> > m68k Mac stuff, and I don't know of Mac users applying to the Debian
> > project for that purpose, either.
> >

> Well I don't bother becoming a Debian maintainer because I think there
> is too much overhead.  If I could just start contributing that would be
> fine, I'm not interested in all the politics.  I get enough of that at
> my paying job.

The only overhead I can see as mandatory is the current application
procedure. I don't know how much of politics is involved in that, but
there's the ID verification issue that might be tedious. I'm not involved
in the new maintainer procedure, but I think James Troup is in that group,
and he is one of the initial m68k maintainers. He knows the situation of
the m68k port, and I can ask him about how to proceed there.

Aside from the application procedure, you can safely ignore the politics.
I had the luck to become involved with Debian while it was more focused on
the technical side, and never had time or inclination to meddle with the
politics.

Another thing: I can ask Adam DiCarlo from the boot-floppies team about
giving CVS write access to you (without being maintainer). I think this
involves getting an account on the Debian machines as well so it may
require some arguments as well.

	Michael