List:       linux-mac68k
Subject:    Re: Quadra 630 LC Comm Slot smc9194 ethernet
From:       Doug Donovan <donovanda () home ! com>
Date:       2000-05-18 1:56:47

David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> Doug Donovan <donovanda@home.com> writes:
>
> > I'm using the current CVS 2.2.14 kernel source, and have smc9194 as a module.
>
> Don't do that.  Module support doesn't work (for any of the Ethernet
> drivers, in fact).  Compile it into the kernel, it's *really* not that
> big.
>
> Patches are welcome.

Thanx, but that was where I started, with it built-in - I usually use no
modules.  So I rebuilt the kernel with built-in support after receiving
your response, and got the following on startup (I didn't get any
else to look for info?

	/dev/hda6: clean, 24506/311296 files, 265472/1243136 blocks
	Calculating module dependencies... done.
	Checking all file systems...
	Parallelizing fsck version 1.12 (9-Jul-98)
	Mounting local file systems...
	/dev/hda7 on /mnt/MacSYS-HD type hfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
	/dev/hda8 on /mnt/Documents1 type hfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
	/dev/hda9 on /mnt/Documents2 type hfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
	SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
	SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
	eth0: unknown interface.
	SIOCSIFNETMASK: Operation not supported by device
	SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Operation not supported by device
	eth0: unknown interface.
	SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
	SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
	Local time: Wed May 17 16:53:18 EDT 2000

The smc9.txt file in the Documentation directory of the kernel source
also stated that if I compiled the support in the kernel, I might have
to change the coding in the .c file.  I thought it would be easier to
try as a module and change parameters, but don't know what values to try.

        use:   insmod smc9194.o
        optional parameters:
                io=xxxx    : your base address
                irq=xx     : your irq
                ifport=x   :    0 for whatever is default
                                1 for twisted pair
                                2 for AUI  ( or BNC on some cards )

If modules do not work, what parameters should I try in the .c file?
I'm willing to recompile and test, just wish I understood more about C,
etc., so I'll need some guidance.

Thanx,
dd