List:       linux-mac68k
Subject:    RE: [linux-mac68k] Patch for mac_mksound() for 660AV/840AV
From:       "David D. Kilzer" <ddkilzer () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1998-08-11 4:43:53

Hi Michael,

>>I was getting a kernel panic every time I tried running a shutdown
>>or similar command on my Quadra 660av.  I figured that it had
>>something to do with the mac_reset() routine, but it turns out it
>>was mac_mksound().
>>
>>As the verbage in the comment below indicates, the 68K AV Macs use
>>some new chip called "Singer" instead of the Apple Sound Chip (ASC).
>>This was causing the crash, so I added a simple fix--printing
>>"BOING!"--until a driver for Singer can be written.
>
>That's entirely possible - I noticed that the Quadra 800 never made any sounds
>at all, so something similar must be happening there (it just doesn't panic,
>wonder where the bits go).
>
>One bug less to squash ...

I realize that sound support isn't critical, but do we need to add a system
parameter for sound hardware as well in arch/m68k/mac/config.c?  I took a
quick survey of sound chips from the TIL web site, and found:

Apple Sound Chip (ASC)
enhanced Apple Sound Chip
"Batman" (enhanced Apple Sound Chip?)
IOSB (may be a multi-function chip and not sound chip; mentioned on Q800)
Singer

Also, it seems like we could pack the ADB, VIA, SCSI, IDE, SCC, ETHERNET
and NUBUS information into 16 or 32 bits (with appropriate accessor
functions defined in a header) and save some space in the kernel:
  (7 bytes - 2 bytes)/model * 53 models = 265 bytes.

Then again...perhaps 265 bytes isn't all that much compared to clarity.
Nevermind.  :^)

Dave