List:       linux-mac68k
Subject:    [linux-mac68k] Re: IDE & Debian 2 Experience...
From:       Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ () lcbvax ! cchem ! berkeley ! edu>
Date:       1998-04-10 23:32:21

Hi,

>Stranger.... You recall that I said that I wasn't able to install
>base2_0.tgz within the installer... You know what ? It just worked
>yesterday (but slowly, more than 10 minutes)... Magic! If it doesn't
>work, 'illegal instruction' errors appear.

That's the strange part - it does work sometimes, and other times you get
illegal instructions (which probably dumps a lot of register information ??).
Ideally, it should either work all of the time, or just break (in that case the
illegal instruction address would be helpful to determine what goes wrong).

>There is also another thing that doesn't seem to work well. I finally
>got the resc1440 and drv1440 files from upenn and magically, Install the
>kernel and drivers worked. The trouble is that you said I would have to
>select the proper drivers... but after the two message boxes appeared
>(about installing the above-mentioned files) the only thing I get is a
>box where I could only 'OK, go back to the main menu' or something
>near...

That's probably because the install process got smarter and recognizes that all
these modules in the drv1440 image are for Atari or whatever, and are useless
for Mac. The whole point in this fake driver install is to create
/etc/modules.conf to keep the install procedure happy.

>> That's always the case I think. The boot process should run e2fsck on all your
>> ext2 filesystems, first on /, and mount / rw after that. Any messages between
>> 'VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly' and 'Entering runlevel: 2' ??
>
>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
>INIT: version 2.73 booting
>INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
>INIT: Id "4" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
>The same for { 6, 5, 1 }. And then, nothing.

I'll compare that with what I get from the minimal system on the SE/30. I still
think there should be more output ...

>The plot thickens...

Can't agree there. The confusion deepens is more like it.

>PS: in a previous post, you said that a new version a new version of
>debian for mac would be available very soon. Any news about it ?

I might have said that there would be a new resc1440 image - and that's on
the (Mac) FTP site since yesterday. The Debian boot-floppies maintainer hasn't
released anything new yet, it's just the same ramdisk with new kernel and
booter.

	Michael