List:       linux-m68k
Subject:    Build failures when building m68k:defconfig with gcc 8.3.0
From:       Guenter Roeck <linux () roeck-us ! net>
Date:       2019-02-28 20:52:03

Hi Geert,

when trying to build m68k:defconfig with gcc-8.3.0 (built using buildall),
I get the following error.

m68k-linux-ld: drivers/rtc/rtc-proc.o: in function `is_rtc_hctosys.isra.0':
rtc-proc.c:(.text+0x2a0): undefined reference to `strcmp'

rtc-proc.c doesn't actually call strcmp(); it calls strncmp(),
but it looks like the compiler optimizes it away.

The same problem is also seen in a few other places when trying to build
m68k:allmodconfig. In each instance, the compiler replaces strncmp() with
strcmp(). I don't see the build failure with any other target, even though
the same optimization happens there as well.

Do you have an idea what is going on, and what I might have to do to fix
the problem (presumably in the toolchain) ?

Thanks,
Guenter