List:       linux-lvm
Subject:    Re: [linux-lvm] Booting
From:       Adrien Farkas <freddy () redneck ! sk ! oracle ! com>
Date:       1999-11-08 8:13:04

Kent Overstreet (kent@kent.myip.org) wrote :

> I just subscribed to the list, so this may have been thought of, but I
> didn't see it in the archives.
>
> From reading the archives, the biggest (long-term) problem with booting
> straight of the LVM is having lilo find the kernel. So how about this:
> dedicate the first extant or three for kernel images. Have regular block
> files in dev, maybe ex0 etc. When you install a new kernel, just dd the
> image to the extant. It would probably take minimal hacking for lilo to

this is the way e.g. Alpha boots from SRM loader. You have some part (preferrably in \
the beginning) of the disk dedicated for kernel and loader boots from there. But I'm \
definitely not sure whether this is a good idea. if you run 'file' on kernel image \
you find out that it's an x86 (e.g.) bootsector so taken pure theoretically you can \
boot from the disk if you change root device accordingly. But the problem is not \
kernel but root partition.

Two solutions appear in my mind (I guess it's official solutions for using LVM):
1) use initrd with minimal support (modules, LVM utils and basic libs)
2) use some small (20MB) partition with content as above.

Decide and read HOWTOs

--
                                             freddy

----==-- _                      Adrien "freddy" Farkas
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       freddy@sk.oracle.com
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  We all know Linux is great... It
-=====/_/_//_/\___/ /_/\_\  does infinite loops in 5 seconds