List:       linux-lvm
Subject:    [linux-lvm] LVM problem after Ubuntu upgradee
From:       Scott Hazelhurst <Scott.Hazelhurst () wits ! ac ! za>
Date:       2016-06-10 7:11:22

Dear all

I upgraded a server from Ubuntu 15.10 to 16.04. All went smoothly and the machine \
appeared in good state. However, there seems to be a problem with LVM. I have one \
volume group with several logical volumes. lvs showed all the logical volumes but \
only 2 of the 7 volumes were active (and appearing in /dev/mapper).

I activated the other volumes using lvchange -ay and then I can see all logical \
volumes in /dev/mapper.

However, there appear to a problem with some of the LVs which are used as the images \
for virtual machines (qemu-kvm). The VMs don't boot. Moreover, previously I could \
mount the sub-partitions of the LV by doing a kpartx -a on the logical volume. That \
no longer works (e.g. kpartx -l /dev/mapper/cloud-VNAME shows nothing, while it used \
to show the 3 partitions of the underlying virtual machine).

One of the LVs didn't have a problem -- this just contained a data disk.

This particular server is not a serious problem for me because  I can clone the VM \
from elsewhere, but I am about to start an upgrade of all our other machines and it \
will be very time-consuming if I have to do this with each machine.

Does anyone have any ideas about what went wrong? How the situation could be remedied

Thanks

Scott=
color="#999999"><span style="font-size:11px;">This communication is intended for the \
addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this communication in error, \
please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. You may not copy or \
disseminate this communication without the permission of the University. Only \
authorised signatories are competent to enter into agreements on behalf of the \
University and recipients are thus advised that the content of this message may not \
be legally binding on the University and may contain the personal views and opinions \
of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of \
the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and outsiders \
are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in writing to the \