List:       linux-lvm
Subject:    Re: [linux-lvm] lvm2 + "--type raid1" better than md-Raid + lvm?
From:       matthew patton <pattonme () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2013-07-09 19:19:19

> it is better using two lvm-disks with --type=raid1 option or is it the
> same quality like creating a raid1-device (via mdadm) and
> putting a lvm2 on it?

I think most people go with the latter. Though of course the former gives you much \
more flexibility in how you assemble raid sets.

I was playing with a script to build 3Par-like (and I use that term loosely) RAID \
arrays out of scattered extents from a pool (say 16) disks in a volume group and \
optionally across multiple such volume groups. LVM in this case was used for "soft \
partition" sizing of the individual MD components, and then of course you can layer \
LVM on top of the MD device for end-user consumption. The idea being RAID rebuild was \
a distributed matter and the impact would be spread across a lot of spindles instead \
of causing a very concentrated heat map.