List:       linux-ldap
Subject:    LDAP and Oracle?
From:       John Rudd <jrudd () cygnus ! com>
Date:       1998-07-30 23:03:55

>From the stuff I've been reading at www.rage.net and some recent product
announcements, it sounds as though LDAP uses it's own application specific
database backend for storing its data (whether it's flat files, berkeley db,
or something else).

Is this a correct enterpretation on my part?

If so, is there any plan to add a generic backend facility so that you can,
say, use Oracle for the backend? or any other random facility?

I ask because we're about to impliment a Clarify tracking system here, and
we would like to be able to use a database of users and hosts for the
internal support (sysadmin) part of our Clarify system.  We would also like
that same piece of the Oracle database to generate things like passwd,
shadow, group, hosts, hosts.equiv, dns zone and rev files, and even dhcp
information and sendmail.cw.

LDAP offers some of things that may help us with those features, but I
haven't found any information about being able to use our Clarify namespace
in our Oracle database as the storage medium (so that the same data is
available to Clarify).

Info?
ideas?
corrections?

John

---
John "kzin" Rudd        jrudd@cygnus.com    http://www.cygnus.com/~jrudd
Intel: Putting   \"I want a pair of Daisy Eagle semi-auto paintball pistols
the backward in   \in shoulder rigs. Who cares if you win the game as long
backward compatible\as you can John Woo as you dive over obstacles?" - anon