List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] Acer 661 / i855GM: Xfree 1400x105 resolution problem solved??
From:       <midra () web ! de>
Date:       2003-10-12 10:08:00

Hi everybody!

I would like to buy an Acer 661 Notebook if the annoying resolution problem
(Mode 1400x1050 doesn't work due to BIOS problems) was solved. Yesterday I
found the following at the top of the Xfree ChangeLog:

============================
XFree86 4.3.99.14 (10 October 2003)
 497. Add an xf86InitFBManagerLinear() function and implement the Linear
      allocation routines. These still fallback to XY area allocation if
      no (or the lack of) linear space is available. It assumes the driver
      has already called one of the init routines to the FBManager for Areas
      before this new setup can be used (Alan Hourihane).
 496. Added USB keyboard support for Solaris/x86 platform (Bugzilla #352,
      Daniel Rock).
 495. i830/i810 driver:
      * Added Christian Ziez's code to tweak BIOS image to convince chipset of
        resized video RAM.
      * Fixed viewport/video overlay window alingment issues.
      * Fixed calculation of video overlay memory size.
      * Fixed video overlay on TV out (Bugzilla #213). (Egbert Eich).

Point 495 ("tweak BIOS...") looks to me like the solution to the problem.
But I don't want to buy the notebook without knowing for sure...

Just in case somebody is interested in this problem and try and compile this
XFree version I would be very interested in the results!

Regards,

        Michael

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)