List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] Having troubles using the external vga connector
From:       Fernando_Álvarez-Uría <fernando.alvarez-uria () ya ! com>
Date:       2003-10-11 4:41:32

Hi all!

As i told you time ago, im writing a howto about installing linux in the
acer travelmate 242lce laptop computer.

Almost everything is complete.

There is one issue where ive got stucked: tv out (vga out).
The graphic card is an intel 852gme.

I can toggle between the laptop's lcd, and an external monitor using
fn+f5, but i cant get twice running at the same time.
The instructions says that pressing that combination once, the external
monitor is used; twice for using both, and a third time for returning to
the lcd.
I think that would work under windows xp, because i have tried to change
during the post step, and during grub's splash screen, and it does not work.

Its so interesting to have the vga out and lcd at the same time for
presentations, for example. Having to switch between one and the other
is really annoying. And show a presentation looking at the projector, is
even more.

I have tried to fix this using xinerama without results. Maybe xinerama
is the solution, but it has not worked for me.

Also, i have used what i thought was the final solution to this:
i810switch (http://vorlon.ces.cwru.edu/~ames/i810switch/). That program
can enable or disable the crt (external monitor) connection. It works
turning on and off that monitor, but not turning on both, so actually it
is like doing nothing.

I really dont know hot to set up this, so any suggestion, even if it has
been proven on another laptop brand, would be very useful.

Thank you very much.

Fernando Alvarez-Uria
Madrid, Spain

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)