List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    Re: [linux-laptop] RedHat 9 on an ASUS laptop
From:       Karol Kozimor <sziwan () hell ! org ! pl>
Date:       2003-05-10 17:17:23

Thus wrote Enda Dimitri Vieira Bigarella:
> I have an ASUS laptop (M8300 with Pentium-III Speedstep) running RedHat
> 9 (with default kernel 2.4.20-9) swiftly. I have had RedHat versions
> running on it since RH 7.2, I guess.
>
> I have never had problems with Power Managment since then. However, with
> this last version, RH9, I simply cannot power the PC from the battery.
> It must be plugged into the AC! And whenever the PC is on, plugged into
> the AC, and I remove the AC power cable, it halts immediatly.

Does this kernel use ACPI, or APM (should be clearly stated in system
logs). If it is ACPI, try to disable it (appending acpi=off) to the command
line, and try to get on with APM (AFAIR, this model is not the
bleeding-edge technology, therefore, as opposing to the newer models, it
should have a decent APM support). If this problem is related to ACPI, you
may as well try to compile a vanilla kernel with recent ACPI patches
(http://acpi.sf.net), or bug the acpi-support mailing list.

Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor