List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] PCMCIA NIC not seen by RH7.2
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2002-11-22 23:12:43

Hello,

I have a NEC VERSA notebook with Red Hat 7.2 installed, and a PCMCIA
NIC model PCMCIA HAMLET RE450 CT LAN 10 Mb. They worked together
perfectly with RH 7.1, but, for some reason, I have never tried the
card with Enigma until last week.

Now the card is not seen at all: when I plug it in, there is one high
beep, followed by one low one. lspci shows nothing. Only reference
found online to this model is: http://mobilix.org/pcmcia_ci10115.html
(I also contacted the manufacturer, which basically answered "old
model, not supported, not with linux anyway").

cardctl ident output:

Socket 0: mapped to anonymous memory

dmesg output:

PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:03.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq

PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:03.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq

Yenta IRQ list 0a80, PCI IRQ 0
Socket status: 30000006
Yenta IRQ list 0a80, PCI IRQ 0
Socket status: 30000006

cs: warning: no high memory space available!
cs: unable to map card memory

The problem is that I HAVE to make this card work before doing
anything else because, for reasons not worth discussing here, the disk
came to be almost full of essential data not backed up anywhere else (some
hundred megabytes) which I MUST copy to my desktop PC before
attempting anything radical (newer red hats would not fit on space
which is not data):

Conclusion: I cannot upgrade/recompile the kernel, I have no place
where to plug the hard disk if I take it out of the laptop, so the
only way to save those data is through the PCMCIA nic (which, at
least, works perfectly on Linux): serial or parallel cable solutions
would require probably just as much hack and be slower.

Please tell me what I should do/post here to solve this problem (I
have also read the PCMCIA/Laptop howtos, but, I admit, was unable to
see what may help me, if it is there).

	Thank you in advance,
				Marco Fioretti

----- End forwarded message -----