List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] USB-Serial
From:       Scott Courtney <courtney () 4th ! com>
Date:       2002-10-29 20:20:19

Hello, all!

I have a Keyspan USA-19QW adapter for connecting serial devices to USB. When
I connect it to my laptop, usbserial.o already loaded, dmesg reports:

usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod 0x6cd/0x118) is not claimed by any active driver.

I know what this means, but the question is, is there an easy way to get the
usbserial.o driver to recognize this vendor/product ID as its own and attempt
to work with it? I just bought this thing, and I'm leaving on a business trip
in about four hours. It would be really helpful if I could get it working
so that I have access to my cellular modem this trip. I'll try Google and the
other usual Linux places online, but figured if I post the question in here
I can parallelize the search process. :-)

Thanks for any help anyone would care to offer.

If this device is a no-go for Linux, I'd appreciate recommendations of a
replacement. Primary criterion: SMALL in size, for travel.

If it is just a matter of needing to patch the usbserial source code, then I
may actually be willing to attempt that when I return from my trip (but not
today, due to lack of time).

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)