List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] Ad-hoc communication in runlevel 3 of RedHat 7.3
From:       Edward Hua <eyh5 () ece ! cornell ! edu>
Date:       2002-10-08 14:32:48

Hi,

   I have two Gateway laptops, both on Linux RedHat 7.3 now (with kernel
2.4.18-3). One laptop is Gateway Solo1400SE, and the other Solo1450SE. I
use the Aironet 350 wireless PC cards on both.

   WHen I boot both machines into runlevel 5 (the graphical mode of
Linux), I can set both up in Ad-hoc mode using iwconfig and they can
communicate with the PC cards with no problem. However, when I boot them
into runlevel 3 (the textual prompt) and attempt to have them talk to each
other in Ad-hoc mode, but failed.

   What I then tried is to see if I can bring both of them to Managed
mode, i.e., getting connected with an Access Point. Well, one of them
(Solo1450) did it by executing the command "ifup eth1," but not ethe other
one. No matter how I tried to play with a variety of command combinations
(ifconfig eth1 down, ifup eth1, etc.)

    I took a quick look at the /etc/rc3.d/ subdirectory in both machines,
and both have the same daemons that started at the boot-up sequence. I
don't know what more I could do.

    Well, my primary concern is to get both machines working in ad-hoc
mode in runlevel 3, if possible. But somehow I feel this is related to one of the
two not being able to "ifup." So I really appreciate if anybody might have
a clue about this, I'm all ears.

    Thanks a bunch.

-Ed

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)