List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    Re: [linux-laptop] CompactFlash via PCMCIA
From:       "ed kapitein" <ed () kapitein ! net>
Date:       2002-09-14 20:43:53

Well, i am no expert on digital camera's, but know a little linux.
I think there is no ext2 filesystem on the flashcard.
I think it is unlikely that a camera manufacter uses this for his flash
cards.
I think it is a different filesystem, if it is a filesystem et all and
not just plain storage.
You can make a copy of the flash card using the dd command.
dd if=/dev/hdc of=somefile
This will dump the flash card in a regular file. you might want to try
to look at the file with diffrent tools.

od -x -c somefile

This dumps the file in hex and will print the characters it can.
This might give you a clue on how the data is organized on the flash
card.
You can try various options when trying to mount the 'somefile'
for example try mounting it with:
mount -t ext2 -o loop somefile /floppy

using diffrent file types (ext2, ext3 minix etc) might give a result.
(i still think it is unlikely, but you might be lucky)

Lots of luck and keep us posted on what you found out.

Kind regards,
@

Be Unique! Get your personalized email address at www.NamePlanet.com
<http://www.NamePlanet.com>