List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] IBM ThinkPad R30 under SuSE 8.0
From:       Scott Courtney <courtney () 4th ! com>
Date:       2002-08-27 16:43:23

Good morning!

I just purchased a ThinkPad R30 (used) and am successfully running SuSE 8.0 on
it. Everything works "out of the box" except that I don't know how to enable
the third mouse button. Right now I'm using the two-button chord to emulate
the third button. Anyone have a snippet of XF86Config for this machine? I've
been to the linux-laptop.org and mobilix.org sites, but didn't see this topic
specifically covered. Everyone just says it works fine under XF86 4.2, which
"it" does if by "it" you mean the screen.

I haven't got sound working yet, but that's basically because I haven't really
tried. Multimedia is not a high priority with me. Ethernet and USB work right
out of the box, with no tweaking required. I bumped the machine from 128M to
512M of memory using an upgrade from Crucial...boy did *that* make a difference
in performance, especially since I run Win2K in a "cage" under VMWare 3.1.

The other problem I'm currently having is that "suspend" works fine for a few
minutes then does a hard power-off seemingly for no reason. I've tried deep-
cycling the battery, but to no avail. It's been suggested that I might have a
dying battery, certainly possible in a used machine, but does anyone have a
better idea that I can try before I spend $100+ on a new battery from IBM?

Finally, as a way of "giving back" to this forum, if anyone else has this
machine and is having trouble getting it running under Linux, please feel free
to request copies of my system's configuration files for X11 or other things.
I'll be glad to post anything except security configuration to the list or in
response to private queries.

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)