List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] Errors Installing RedHat 7.3 Personal On Compaq Presario 1200 XL-106 Notebook
From:       "Joshua Ammons" <lub997 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2002-08-13 7:28:53

Hi,
  I'm having trouble installing RedHat Linux 7.3 Personal on my Compaq
Presario 1200 XL-106 Notebook. The installation program starts out fine, and
then I fill in all of the information, and then when it starts installing
packages it works fine for a while, and then it always has an error
installing a package and aborts the installation, restarting the whole
entire installation process all over again. It's never the same package.
It's a different one that has the error every single time. I know the CDs
are good, cause I didn't download them off the net. I bought them in an
official RedHat Linux box at a computer store, and on top of that, I have
successfully used them to install RH 7.3 on my desktop computer. There
wasn't a single error on the desktop computer. The installation program just
seems to hate my laptop. I know the laptop is capable of running Linux
because I have already run RedHat 7.0 successfully for quite a while. RedHat
7.0 installs and runs with no errors at all. I don't know what the problem
could possibly be. Please help. I've been working on it day and night for
over a week now with no success what so ever, and if it isn't installed and
working when college starts in two weeks I will be forced to go back to
Windows which originally came on it, and I REALLY don't want to do that.
Over the past few months I have come to love Linux and I would hate to have
to go back to Windows. Windows Xtra Problems isn't really much of an
improvement either, so I'd love to have 7.3 working for school, but I have
no idea what the problem is. I'm fairly new to Linux. I switched over from
Windows a few months ago, so problems that may seem obvious to others are
not obvious to me! Please HELP!!! I posted this on the RedHat Valhalla
forum, and someone suggested typing "linux nodma" at the boot: prompt, and I
tried that, and it seemed to make the installation go somewhat further
before failing, but it didn't solve the problem and it did the exact same
type of package installation error thing in the end.

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)