List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    Re: [linux-laptop] Newbie with dell CPi 266
From:       Ed Kapitein <ed () kapitein ! net>
Date:       2002-04-14 13:36:22

Chris,

I would love to come over and help you some more, but i
live in the netherlands (europe) is that a problem ?
;-)

There are a few good words of advice:
if your harddisk is big enough ( i think it will be)
see if you can find a partition that is big enough to hold the instalation
media. ( fdisk will tell you the size and the names of you partitions [hdaX,
hdaY etc], df -k will tell you which ones are currently mounted )

boot form cdrom and start the rescue disk (does redhat
has a rescue disk ?)
otherwise just install as ussual a minimum ystem.

Then copy your cdrom to the harddisk:
( mount the cdrom on /cdrom and mount the big enough partition on
/floppy, then cd to /cdrom and do:
tar -cf - . | ( cd /floppy; tar -xvpf - )
This would copy the content of the cdrom to disk and
leave you free to boot from floppy with the source
media on your harddisk.

This way you should be able to do a fresh install.
(keep in mind not to overwrite the partition with the source media on it !)
if your home dir is on a partition of is own this might be a good place to
keep your install media )

It might be handier to make some more partitions if you feel up to the task,
but this will do the trick i think.

You can mix older RPM's with newer, but only as a last
resort...

rpm -evv pcmcia would remove the installed package
and a rpm -ivv --nodeps pcmcia.rpm in the directory
where the old rpm package is would install the old
pcmcia package.

Keep up the good work, and let us know what goes wrong
next :-)

Kind regards,
@