List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    [linux-laptop] A question about the newly installed PCMCIA-CS package
From:       Edward Hua <eyh5 () ece ! cornell ! edu>
Date:       2002-04-04 3:37:15

Hi,

    I have a question about the PCMCIA-CS package that I downloaded and
installed, which is intended to replace the one that's currently running
in my laptop. The question is as follows.

    I've heared that the PCMCIA-CS package that comes with the RedHat7.2
has some screwed-up scripts that are not really good for the Lucent
OriNOCO PC card if I want to connect my laptop to an AP. So, I downloaded
another PCMCIA-CS package (Version 3.1.31) and a Linux 2.4.7 kernel source
code (this is like re-building the PCMCIA-CS package and Linux kernel
over the existing ones I have on my laptop). However, instead of unzipping
the PCMCIA-CS package in the /usr/src/ subdirectory (as was recommended by
the PCMCIA-HOWTO), I put it in my home directory and executed the various
"make" commands afterwards.

     The result of this is that I now have two groups of PCMCIA-related
files in parallel in my laptop Linux system. One, the one that comes with
the RedHat CD, is installed in /etc/pcmcia; and the other (which I just
installed from my home directory), is located in the sub-directory that
is rooted from my home directory.

     When I boot the laptop, I realized that during the boot process, the
laptop still looks into the /etc/pcmcia sub-directory to retrieve
information on the status of my PCMCIA wireless card set-up. What I in
fact want my laptop to do is to look into the PCMCIA subdirectory from my
home directory to retrieve and configure the relevant files at the boot
time. Short of re-installing the whole PCMCIA-CS package from scratch,
could anybody suggest a way of doing just that? I mean, is there some
system file in which I can make some line changes to re-direct my laptop
to NOT look into /etc/pcmcia when it comes to setting up the PCMCIA card?

      I'm also trying the copying of all files (e.g., config.opts, config,
network.opts, network, wireless.opts, wireless, etc.) from the new
PCMCIA-CS package into /etc/pcmcia where the current such files (from the
RedHat PCMCIA-CS package) reside. Would this work?

     Thanks for your correspondence. Bye.

-Ed

 http://Xtops.DE/ Laptops and PDAs with Linux (Germany)