List:       linux-laptop
Subject:    Re: [linux-laptop] Win XP and dual boot
From:       "Carlos Fernando Scheidecker Antunes" <nando () antunes ! eti ! br>
Date:       2002-03-10 16:03:49

No sweat.

I've got a Compaq Presario 2700.

It has XP with NTFS.

What I did was I bought Partition Magic 7.0 that can resize NTFS and comes
with bootmagic. BootMagic cannot be installed on a NTFS partition so I've
created a very small FAT and installled the thing. Then, I've created with
PM a swap and a ext2 partition. I've installed Red Hat 7.2 and had GRUB
installed on the first sector of the ext2 partition. Note, if you install
GRUB on the MBR you will erase bootmagic.

There you go. It works wonders. I've done a lot of dual boot notebooks but
that was the first that had a non FAT32 partition. I 've just used the
common sense and my expirience on this.

Partition Magic can be obtained online at www.powerquest.com

cheers,

Carlos Fernando Scheidecker Antunes.