List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: Bonding...
From:       Rainer Clasen <bj () zuto ! de>
Date:       2000-11-30 20:45:28

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:16:37AM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > When using ethernet bonding, does it divide the load between the
> > two based on connection, or packet by packet?
>
> packet by packet, so you can use both links to aggregate your bandwidth. I've
> used it at 200 Mbps with success.

Linux distributes outgoing outgoing packets in a round robin manner.

Ciscos are supposed to do this based on the XOr value of the last two bits
of source AND destination MAC.

I was astonished to see a Catalyst2924EN distribute traffic EITHER by
source OR by destination MAC address (configurable).

My BayStack450 seems to do roind robin, too.

Ciscos MAC based distribution limits each TCP connection to 100 Mbps.

 Rainer

PS: Thanks to Willy for his work on the bonding driver.

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB

-