List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: DCACHE Pinning Problems with rm -r on 2.2.15/2.3.99Pre3 withNWFS 2.2.2
From:       "Manfred Spraul" <manfreds () colorfullife ! com>
Date:       2000-03-31 19:43:43

Al,

did you check my "event" patch? I remembered my patch when I read the DCACHE
thread.

event is _only_ used to optimize readdir():

    f_version is modified by _lseek().
    i_version is modified when a directory entry is added/removed.

and readdir() then compares i_version with f_version [at least ext2 does
that, and some fs partially copied that code].

Additionally, fat uses i_version and d_time to optimize d_revalidate(), but
noone needs a global counter.

I could update the patch to 2.3.99-pre3

--
    Manfred