On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Keith Owens wrote: > On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 19:35:11 +1000, > Mofeed Shahin wrote: > >I have in my machine 2 ide drives and 1 Ultra2 scsi drive. I would like to > >install linux on the ultra2 scsi drive. > >Booting with the default kernel works fine, but when I tried using the new > >kernel it boots up and stops at "LI". > > Assuming your motherboard has an option to boot from SCSI before IDE. > > * Set the M/B to boot SCSI before IDE. > * Put your / partition on SCSI ID 0. > * Add these lines to /etc/lilo.conf > > boot=/dev/sda > disk=/dev/sda > bios=0x80 > > plus any other config lines you need. > > bios=0x80 tells LILO "/dev/sda is the boot disk, ignore what the BIOS > says". Without that, LILO tends to assume that the first IDE drive is > the boot disk, with nasty results. Thanks, this was the problem, but I didn't have to set the scsi ID to 0, I think it helped that my BIOS can actually see my scsi devices. I just re-arranged the boot order so that the scsi drive is the first to look at. Cheers Mof. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/