Yes I had an almost identical problem, except that I could reproduce it, by simply trying to install Star Office. I fixed it by upgrading to a newer X-server. I don't know what xserver you are running but I was running the S3 Virge server. Cheers Mof. On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Mark Henson wrote: > Hi, > > Has anyone on this list experienced a crashed X server locks up the Console > and the Display? The machine underneath appears healthy, it does all its > tasks fine. I would prefer not to reboot it unless have to. I have come > across this problem a number of times over 3 years of running Linux. > > The symptoms are a frozen screen saver and a keyboard that does not respond > at all. Even the scroll/caps lock lights do not respond. When I check the > task list the Xserver and all the X apps have gone, the system is running > RedHat 5.1 with 2.0.36 kernel. The machine is on an electronic > VDU/Mouse/Keyboard Switch I don't think that this is the problem since other > machines run on the same switch and they are fine. > > thanks in advance for you help > > If anyone is interested I am happy to get some info out of the machine if it > will help isolate the problem. The machine has been up: > > 7:21pm up 115 days, 6:44, 5 users, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00 > > regards > > mark - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/