List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: Locked Console/Display
From:       Riley Williams <rhw () BigFoot ! Com>
Date:       1999-04-12 7:54:52

Hi Mark.

 > Has anyone on this list experienced a crashed X server locks up
 > the Console and the Display?  The machine underneath appears
 > healthy, it does all its tasks fine.  I would prefer not to
 > reboot it unless have to.  I have come across this problem a
 > number of times over 3 years of running Linux.

 > The symptoms are a frozen screen saver and a keyboard that does
 > not respond at all.  Even the scroll/caps lock lights do not
 > respond.  When I check the task list the Xserver and all the X
 > apps have gone, the system is running RedHat 5.1 with 2.0.36
 > kernel.

 > The machine is on an electronic VDU/Mouse/Keyboard Switch I
 > don't think that this is the problem since other machines run on
 > the same switch and they are fine.

This might easily be your problem, and if it is, application of switch
cleaner to the switch unit should fix it...

 > The other question I have relates to resubscribing to this list
 > from a different account:  the list server denies me, I think
 > either because the IP address of the mail server I am trying to
 > subscribe from has been blacklisted and the reverse DNS shows up
 > a blacklisted domain, or maybe more simply because the sender
 > domain and reverse lookup domain don't match.  I am using an
 > ml.org domain.

You presumably know that ml.org is no more? According to their
website, all domains have now expired.

 > What are my options?  I tried to subscribe my other address from
 > the one I am sending from for this, but I got a cryptic message
 > in reply that suggested I should know how to do it, but I
 > don't!!

Check that your other address is valid for starters...

Best wishes from Riley.

| There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux  |
| else has already done so and is just about to release their patch.   |