List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: APIC IO changes in 2.1.118.
From:       Richard Gooch <rgooch () atnf ! csiro ! au>
Date:       1998-08-31 23:18:31

MOLNAR Ingo writes:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this snippet from the Intel MB site may help -
> >
> > 	IRQ9 cannot be re-assigned
> >
> >                           IRQ9 is not available to assign to
> >                           ISA add-in cards because it is
> >                           dedicated to the power
> >                           management function of the PIIX4
> >                           controller on the motherboard.
> >                           This is true for other motherboards
> >                           which use the 82371AB PIIX4
> >                           component.
>
> this looks promising. We can safely detect the PCI ID of the 82371AB PIIX4
> runtime, instead of querying the ACPI BIOS about the status of IRQ9 (which
> we cant do currently) ... thus the horrible hack of disabling IRQ9 on all
> boards can go away.

Hm. I didn't realise we did this. Could this possibly be the cause of
a problem a friend of mine is having with his sound interface? He has
to boot Windoze first (oops, better not slag off M$, they might demand
records of all my email;-) which properly sets up the sound interface,
which is on IRQ 9. He's got a Gateway Solo laptop.
Perhaps Windoze set up IRQ 9 on the motherboard which Linux can later
use for the sound interface?

				Regards,

					Richard....

-