List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
From:       o.r.c () p ! e ! l ! l ! p ! o ! r ! t ! l ! a ! n ! d ! o ! r ! u ! s (david parsons)
Date:       1998-08-16 20:56:35

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.HPP.3.96.980809185928.24552H-100000@ixion.honeywell.com>,
Shawn Leas  <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> wrote:

>In other words, just push all device mgmt whatsoever into userspace is to
>me broken, and I believe that if the original Unix had such an inerface an
>idea like DevFS would have popped up a long time ago.
>
>If we can avoid a hoaky HP-UX-ish solution to device creation (which seems
>to be the userland one), I like it.  I don't see that it breaks some
>functionality, but if it does, you've tested it, and it's fundamentally
>impossible to do with DevFS, there are even other ways to do DevFS.

    I'd imagine that a lot of the complaints about devfs would go away
    if it had inherited-mount semantics;  if you mounted it over an
    existing /dev, it would pick up the permissions and ownerships of
    the underlying filesystem, and *poof* any horrible kludgery you'd
    have to do with setting permissions and picking apart tarballs would
    go away just like that.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ But, alas, I don't have room in this margin to
                   \/                              code this solution.

-