List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: Finding a machine which is sniffing on the network (fwd)
From:       Oskar Pearson <oskar () is ! co ! za>
Date:       1997-10-23 13:58:20

Hi

> > box in promiscuous mode picks up the packet and transfers it to the
> > IP stack (as if it were a broadcast ethernet frame). Linux then checks
> > the destination address (but not the ethernet frame to check if the broadcast
> > is set there too), and since it's the broadcast address, it responds.
> > All the other machines on the network don't.
> >
> > This is with kernels about 2.0.20->30 at least.
>
> This shouldn't happen. If it does, it's a Ethernet driver problem. Which driver
> are you using?

SMC Ultra (in a VERY quick check it seems like the NE2000 doesn't do this,
so perhaps you are right).

Should we leave it in? (or even change the other drivers to do this too?)

Oskar

--
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -