List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    2.1.51 dcache lookup deadlock
From:       Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio () tele ! fi>
Date:       1997-08-31 23:13:07

Hello,

	I have had recently two system hangups, which have turned
	out to be (possibly) due to a race problem at fs/dcache.c.
	(Linux 2.1.51 without pre-52-2)

	All I know is that after a high activity at my MTA spool
	directories (6 processes doing rename()s between 30 directories,
	while processing incoming messages), I found out with SysRq+P
	keying that the kernel PC was running around at code around
	source lines 229-236 of file fs/dcache.c

	The subsystem where this happened is actually my workstation's
	local ZMailer that shortly before lattest hangup received about
	200 emails in a very fast burst.

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi>