List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: [GIT PULL] tracing/tracefs: Fixes for v6.9
From:       Linus Torvalds <torvalds () linux-foundation ! org>
Date:       2024-05-03 23:58:31

On Fri, 3 May 2024 at 16:07, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> - Minor fix for user_events interface
>   The ABI of creating a user event states that the fields
>   are separated by semicolons, and spaces should be ignored.
>   But the parsing expected at least one space to be there (which was incorrect).
>   Fix the reading of the string to handle fields separated by
>   semicolons but no space between them.

This is the opposite of a fix.

A fix would have fixed the documentation to match reality.

Instead, this relaxes our existing parsing. Are there any old kernels
that had that relaxed parsing? Is there any actual reason to not just
fix documentation to match reality?

Because when reality and documentation do not match, it is not
*REALITY* that is buggy.

               Linus