List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: user-space concurrent pipe buffer scheduler interactions
From:       Michael Clark <michael () metaparadigm ! com>
Date:       2024-04-03 21:02:10

On 4/4/24 09:39, Michael Clark wrote:
> So maybe it is possible to look at how many LOCK instructions were
> retired in the last scheduler quantum ideally with retired-success,
> retired-failed for interlocked-compare-and-swap. Maybe it is just a
> performance counter and doesn't require perf tracing switched on?

just occurred to me that you could stash the address and width of the
last failed interlocked-compare-and-swap to deduce wait-on-address or
even ask the processor in some circumstances to generate a precise
interrupt so that you could reschedule it. an idle thought. like if it
is going to fail we might as well jump straight to the scheduler.