List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: WD doesn`t use disks with Linux - was Re: Re:Western Digital GreenPower drives and Linux
From:       "linux-os (Dick Johnson)" <linux-os () analogic ! com>
Date:       2008-05-14 13:20:46

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Arnd Hannemann wrote:

> Roland wrote:
> > > BTW, WD's tech support has gone silent so chances for an easier
> > > solution are not so great.
> > >
> > > Tvrtko
> >
> > I`ve got a real funky response from WD support  today, i`d like to
> > share here.
> > This is just too weird....
> >
> > After asking if they could give a comment if the problem with the high
> > Load_Cycle_Count may be an issue of their drives or an issue of Linux
> > i got:
> >
> > ------
> > Dear......
> > The problem is, that we actually don`t use the disks with Linux. I´m
> > sorry that i cannot send further information to you.
> >
> > Sincery yours
> > <insert support employee name here>
> > Western Digital Service and Support
> > ------
> > (translated from german)
>
> Well the answer was probably just from a first level support person so
> nothing one should get excited about.
> Anyway to the high Load_Cycle_Count; if I understood the technology
> correctly the WD GreenPower drives are exactly "Green" because they
> unload the heads on a plastic ramp (no landing zone!) quite often during
> longer idle periods. Thus they can power off the positioning logic and
> actuator of the heads. -> safe Power
> This also explains why the power usage under seek is comparable with
> other "non-green" drives...
>
> <snipped a lot of stuff>
> > 193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 197 197 000 Old_age  Always  - 10233
> my 1 TB drive has also a relative high value:
>
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
> Always       -       2786
>

> Just my 2 cents,
> Arnd

Practically nobody has any on-line support that means anything
anymore. The person who wrote the response is probably in the
Philippines, makes about $US 3.00 per hour, and is allowed to
pee twice a day. Don't worry. The tiny "bump-proof" drives
cycle on an off many times to conserve power. They also
keep the heads from landing "crashing" by inserting a plastic
wedge between the swing-arms during power down. It's probably
a lot less harmful than letting the heads touch down somewhere.

It's not just the positioning logic that gets powered off. The
discs are spun down, which saves a lot of power.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.22.1 on an i686 machine (5588.29 BogoMips).
My book : http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  \
Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by \
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not \
the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying \
to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy \
all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or \
disclosing them.

Thank you.