List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: question on common error-handling idiom
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2004-11-02 21:12:28

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 14:58, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> So to summarize, it's done to reduce code whilst keeping the error code
> around until we actually leave the function.

I understand what you're saying, the OP did raise a point that I think is
worth repeating, that it's an extra instruction in all but error cases.  Is
that extra instruction worth the tradeoff?

--Russell

--

Russell Miller - rmiller@duskglow.com - Le Mars, IA
Duskglow Consulting - Helping companies just like you to succeed for ~ 10 yrs.