List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2
From:       Bill Davidsen <davidsen () tmr ! com>
Date:       2004-06-10 18:57:53

Robert White wrote:
> I would think that having an easy call to disable the NX modification would be both
> safe and effective.  That is, adding a syscall (or whatever) that would let you mark
> your heap and/or stack executable while leaving the new default as NX, is "just as
> safe" as flagging the executable in the first place.

It clearly wouldn't be safe, and that keeps it from being effective.
Like having a great lock and burglar alarm, then putting the key and
entry code under the mat. NX is to prevent abuse by BAD PEOPLE and
therefore should not have any way to defeat it from within a program.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
-