List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Squashfs released (a highly compressed filesystem)
From:       Phillip Lougher <phillip () lougher ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-10-30 23:56:10

Jeff Garzik wrote:
 > Phillip Lougher wrote:

 >> 2. Squashfs compresses inode and directory information in addition
 >> to file data.  Inodes/directories generally compress down to 50%, or
 >> say on average 8 bytes or less per inode.
 >

 > squashfs or mksquashfs?

mksquashfs...

 > A r/w compressed filesystem would be darned useful too :)
 >
 > Jeff

A r/w compressed filesystem may be my next project...  As a couple of
people have mentioned there are compressed r/w filesystems already
out there.

As you'll know, there are always tradeoffs with filesystem design,
it is very difficult to get as good compression with a r/w fs
than with a read only filesystem.  I wanted to get maximum
compression, and quite a few of the techniques I use rely on
its read-only nature.

An append only (i.e. files can be added, but not modified), fs might
be a useful compromise.  With compressed metadata, any modification
of files will inevitably achive different compression ratios, and so
modification of metadata/files in place is not an option.  Appending
modified metadata/data brings you to log-structured (journalling)
filesystems and compaction (log cleaning) requirements with consequent
loss of compression.

Phillip

-